Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions or script below. Modify as needed. We recommend using a script for most types of small business marketing videos after warming up the speaker with interview questions.
What to Do: Choose the questions that best suit your small business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Mechanics, Body Repair, Oil Change Services
Auto Repair Shop Survey Results: 64% of customers want owner narration in the video; 29% are indifferent; 7% do not want narration in the video.
Auto Repair Video Length Limit Average: 72 seconds (1:12)
- How would you describe your service in one sentence (maybe include when it was established, how it has grown, or what area you serve)?
Johnson Auto Body opened in 2008 with one mechanic that has grown into a 15-employee operation that services over 12 cars per week.
- What services do you offer?
We provide body work, restoration, engine and drive train, brakes, suspension, exhaust, transmissions, air conditioning and heating, tires, ignition, troubleshooting, diagnosing, and servicing electrical and mechanical systems, oil changes and lubrications, working with electronic diagnostic equipment and systems, optimizing engine performance, and correcting vehicle wheel alignment.
- Are there any special services you provide?
We also provide loaner cars, car rental, car sales (dealer license), shuttle service, after hours drop-off, detail/cleaning, gas station, towing, and remote service calls (off-site service).
- What types of vehicles do you specialize in?
We specialize in servicing domestic vehicles, foreign vehicles, semi-trailer trucks, heavy machinery, and alternative fuel vehicles, such as 100% electric, hybrid electric, natural gas, and hydrogen fuel cell.
- How is your service different from others?
We are different from most auto body shops in that we will accommodate projects of any size and scope. We will provide mechanical service, painting of any metal machinery, and even do custom metal work of any type.
- What is a philosophy or key to success you live by related to your area of expertise?
The key to our success is that we put people first. No policy or price structure will prevent us from helping the needs of our customer.
- How do you receive most of your customers?
We receive most of our customers from word of mouth. We have built our business from this form of advertising.
- How does the service process work for new customers?
Typically, you will drop your car off on a Monday or Tuesday, and we have them complete by Thursday or Friday depending on the scope of the damage. Some projects can be completed within a few hours.
- How would you describe your customer service? (Knowledgeable, responsive, flexible, accommodating)
Providing great customer service is our top priority. We strive to do everything we can to make your buying experience with us a good one.
- Share some helpful advice.
Some of the best ways to reduce repair costs is to be preemptive with maintenance. Waiting too long to repair something can incur more damage. We’ll diagnose other issues as we repair another.
- Tell me about your staff.
Our staff is uniquely diverse and experienced in various fields allowing us to accommodate any request.
- Invite customers to do business with you.
We look forward to servicing your car, and getting you back on the road!
- What is the most interesting thing you’ve learned while providing your service that helps you better service your customers?
- Are there any skills, certifications and associations we should mention?
- What do you try to achieve for your customers?
- Do you have any special tech or equipment that is not commonly used?
- What is one of your proudest achievements of your business?
- How did the business find its beginnings?
- What do you love about your job?
Copyright 2018. Permission to repost with crediting link to Biveo.com.
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
Auto Repair Shop Survey Results: 64% of customers want owner narration in the video; 29% are indifferent; 7% do not want narration in the video. Auto Repair Video Length Limit Average:
72 seconds (1:12) [Who you are/Your Expertise (choose all that apply)] [Smith Auto Body]
has been operating here on Main street since 1995. It has grown into a 
employee operation that services over 
cars per week. We provide: [Body work, Restoration, Engine and drive train, Brakes, Suspension, Exhaust, Transmissions, Air conditioning and heating, Tires, Ignition, Troubleshooting, diagnosing, and servicing electrical and mechanical systems, Oil changes and lubrications, Working with electronic diagnostic equipment and systems, Optimizing engine performance, Correcting vehicle wheel alignment].
We service [Domestic, Foreign, Semi-trailer trucks, Heavy machinery, Electric, hybrid, and hydrogen vehicles].
We also provide [Loaner cars, Car rental, Car sales (dealer license), Shuttle service, After hours drop-off, Detail/Cleaning, Gas station, Towing, Remote service calls (off-site service)] [Key to success]
The key to delivering a great service is hiring great people and training them to be great.
For the past [two years]
we have been: Improving our technology to better diagnose problems Expanding our knowledge base with new certifications to master more types of repairs Expanding the training for our employees [What makes you different?]
We accommodate small service requests, and more affordably than average. We were born and raised in this town. Our reputation is so important to us, and it’s why most of our customers find us by word of mouth. [Talk about the service process] We seem to do most of our diagnoses and prior repair pick ups on Monday, and are bringing in new cars to work on through Tuesday of which most are completed by the week end.
May name is [First Lastname], I am the owner of Smith Auto Body, and I hope you choose us for your next auto repair.
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.
Copyright 2018. Permission to repost with crediting link to Biveo.com