3 Approaches to Creating a Business Video:
- Create It Yourself: To begin creating it yourself, visit Before You Begin to see what you'll need, then follow the 6 steps from there.
- Shoot Your Own Footage, Hire an Editor: To begin shooting it yourself, and hiring an editor, visit Before You Begin, follow steps 1 to 4, then before starting step 5, visit Find a Business Video Editor.
- Hire a Pro to Do It All: To begin comparing pros, visit Find a Business Video Producer.
- Collaborate with a Pro (Recommended): To begin planning, review 10 Ways You Can Help Your Videographer Produce a More Compelling Video for Your Business.
Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions below. Or if you prefer the certainty of a script (which we do), modify the script template below which might take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So First: Choose between the interview approach, and modified script approach described below. The interview approach is fast, requires no-preparation and delivers compelling natural footage. The scripted approach enables more control over the content, but requires more preparation including learning to recite each sentence naturally.
What to Do: Choose about 10 questions that best suit your business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Hair Salons, Nail Salons, Spas, Tanning Salons
Below are our best suggested interview questions followed by example answers.
- When and why did the business open?
- Swanson’s Hair Salon opened in 2004 to bring a fashion-focused salon of the big city to our little town.
- What services do you specialize in?
- We are full service. We provide cut and style, coloring, texturing, treatments, massage, nail service, cosmetics, hair removal, facials with mastery in coloring. We specialize in all hair types as well. Most of our clients are women, but we absolutely provide men’s cuts as well.
- Is there a particularly interesting service you would recommend people try?
- If you had a stressful day at work, one of the most effective massage types we provide is the cranial therapy. I really recommend trying it.
- Has your business received any positive press worth mentioning?
- Swanson’s was named the people’s choice favorite beauty salon in the Aspen Times.
- What kind of experience or education does your staff have?
- All of our staff has graduated from beauty school, and have at least 2 years of experience. Some of our most experienced stylists have over 15 years of experience. All stylists are required to continue their education, and we bring in artists that train and share their techniques.
- How is your service different from others?
- We’re different from other salons in that we are focused more on artistry than practicality. We are all passionate fashion lovers here.
- What is a philosophy or key to success you live by related to your area of expertise?
- We believe that caring for our employees, our guests and our community is key to becoming a winning business. To care, we must share our expertise, our passion, and our success.
- What types of products do you sell, and why those lines?
- We sell a full line of hair products as well as makeup. We carry more of the top of the line fashion-oriented products that you won’t often find at the store, rather than your every day makeup you might wear to work.
- Share some helpful advice.
- If you’re in the mood for a hair style change, review some of our favorite styles online before setting an appointment.
- What is the buying process? Do you take walk-ins, or is it appointment only?
- We do take walk-ins for haircuts, but you’ll want to schedule something for most other services. Sometimes we can get you in right away.
- Invite customers to do business with you.
- Set up an appointment today, let us do your hair!
- Do you use any special equipment that is not commonly used?
- Does your service have any relevant certifications, experience or education that should be mentioned?
- How do you receive most of your customers?
- What is one of your proudest achievements of your business?
- What do you love about your job?
- What do you try to achieve for your customers?
- How does the service process work for new customers?
- How would you describe your customer service? (Knowledgeable, responsive, flexible, accommodating)
- What is the most interesting thing you’ve learned while providing your service that helps you better service your customers?
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
Swanson Hair Salon has been providing hair care to men and women since 2011.
[Specialty and Experience]
We’re full service, providing [cut and style, coloring, texturing, treatments, massage, nail service, cosmetics, hair removal, facials with mastery in coloring. We specialize in all hair types as well. Most of our clients are women, but we absolutely provide men’s cuts as well.] We are always growing our list of services with continued training, and often bring in guest specialists. Whether hair extensions, coloring, weaving or braiding, we try to make sure everyone has certifications in different areas. Our technicians have about 8 years of experience on average.
[What Makes You Different]
One of the things that sets us apart is not being complacent. We are always learning and improving. We try to make it more than just a service. It’s a great experience. We try to add special extras to haircuts like offering teas, coffee and water, makeup consulting, hot towels and shoulder rub.
[Talk About the Service Process]
We do take walk-ins for haircuts, but you’ll want to schedule something for most other services. Sometimes we can get you in right away.
[Share Some Expert Advice] Everyone has different hair, we recommend that you choose a style that works for your unique characteristics, and we’ll help you figure out what that is.
My name is [First Lastname], I am the owner of Swanson Hair Salon, and I invite you to come give us a try!
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.