3 Approaches to Creating a Business Video:
- Create It Yourself: To begin creating it yourself, visit Before You Begin to see what you'll need, then follow the 6 steps from there.
- Shoot Your Own Footage, Hire an Editor: To begin shooting it yourself, and hiring an editor, visit Before You Begin, follow steps 1 to 4, then before starting step 5, visit Find a Business Video Editor.
- Hire a Pro to Do It All: To begin comparing pros, visit Find a Business Video Producer.
- Collaborate with a Pro (Recommended): To begin planning, review 10 Ways You Can Help Your Videographer Produce a More Compelling Video for Your Business.
Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions below. Or if you prefer the certainty of a script (which we do), modify the script template below which might take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So First: Choose between the interview approach, and modified script approach described below. The interview approach is fast, requires no-preparation and delivers compelling natural footage. The scripted approach enables more control over the content, but requires more preparation including learning to recite each sentence naturally.
What to Do: Choose about 10 questions that best suit your business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Health Clubs, Gyms, Trainers, Coaches, Yoga Centers, Fitness Class Providers
Below are our best suggested interview questions followed by example answers.
Be canderous in your answers. Give customers a big picture view of your service by pointing out how your weaknesses (less machines, smaller facility…) are actually a positive (lower in cost, open later, more classes, flexible pricing...).
- How would you describe your service in one sentence (maybe include when it was established and what area you serve)?
- Sunshine Fitness was established in 2008 to provide a convenient health club to the residents of Mountain Village.
- What services do you provide?
- Sunshine Fitness provides cardio, strength and free weights, aquatics, tennis, racketball, personal and group training for conditioning, cross-fit, sports performance, post rehab, team building exercises and education for trainers; classes including yoga, spinning, zumba, and pilates; martial arts, as well as nutritional consultation.
- What amenities do you feature?
- Sunshine Fitness features tanning salons, a pro shop, restaurant, locker rooms, showers, towel service, and babysitting.
- What type of clients do you serve?
- We serve adults 18 and up, but host men’s crossfire classes on Monday, Wednesday, women’s pilates Tuesday and Thursday, and children’s martial arts classes on the weekends.
- What will customer’s experience when they enter? Describe the atmosphere.
- We strive to provide a warm, inviting, judgement-free, family-oriented atmosphere
- What makes your service unique?
- We customize your workout needs; perfect the quality of your training; make training fun; focus on proper technique; focus on maximum results; help you get focused and present; provide unique classes.
- What got you into fitness? What is your background?
- While a soldier in the Army, I learned a great deal about fitness. Certain types of exercises have effects you wouldn’t expect and I enjoy impressing new clients with what I’ve learned over the years.
- What experience does your staff bring for customers?
- We have a variety of specialists on staff that teach class and offer personal and group training. They have diligently learned how to provide the best workout experience for patrons.
- How easy is it for customers to sign up with you?
- It is very easy for customers to walk in and being working out same day. We offer one day workout passes for $10, and month to month for $70.
- Give customers your name and invite customers to do business with you.
- My name is Jane Doe, owner of Sunshine Fitness, and I invite you to come get in shape with us!
- How do most of your clients hear about you?
- What is one of your proudest achievements of your business?
- What do you try to achieve for your customers?
- What do you love about your job?
- Share some helpful advice.
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
My name is Mary Smith and I am a former Army veteran with a passion for fitness. I opened Sunshine Fitness in 2008 to provide a circuit training health club option to the residents of Mountain Village.
[Specialty and Experience]
Sunshine Fitness provides [cardio, strength and free weights, aquatics, tennis, racketball, personal and group training for conditioning, cross-fit, sports performance, post rehab, team building exercises and education for trainers; classes including yoga, spinning, zumba, and pilates; martial arts, as well as nutritional consultation.] We have a sports rehab specialist on staff, as well as personal trainers and class instructors that have at least 3 years of experience.
[What Makes You Different]
We are different from most health clubs in that we customize your workout needs when you first join. It’s much easier to workout when you have a list of things you need to do. We continually refine the quality of your personal program training, and find ways to make it more fun. We also feature [tanning salons, a pro shop, restaurant, locker rooms, showers, towel service, and babysitting.]
[Talk About the Service Process]
We enable you to pay by the day, without commitment with rates decreasing the more times you visit in a month. This gives you an incentive to workout more because everything after your 5th visit for the month is free.
[Share Some Expert Advice] One of the most underrated things you can do to get healthy is to make sure you are getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep contributes to weight gain, aging, stress and immune issues. Eat healthy, sleep well and with exercise you’ll be feeling your best in no time.
My name is Mary Smith, I am the owner of Sunshine Fitness, and I invite you to come work out with us!
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.