3 Approaches to Creating a Business Video:
- Create It Yourself: To begin creating it yourself, visit Before You Begin to see what you'll need, then follow the 6 steps from there.
- Shoot Your Own Footage, Hire an Editor: To begin shooting it yourself, and hiring an editor, visit Before You Begin, follow steps 1 to 4, then before starting step 5, visit Find a Business Video Editor.
- Hire a Pro to Do It All: To begin comparing pros, visit Find a Business Video Producer.
- Collaborate with a Pro (Recommended): To begin planning, review 10 Ways You Can Help Your Videographer Produce a More Compelling Video for Your Business.
Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions below. Or if you prefer the certainty of a script (which we do), modify the script template below which might take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So First: Choose between the interview approach, and modified script approach described below. The interview approach is fast, requires no-preparation and delivers compelling natural footage. The scripted approach enables more control over the content, but requires more preparation including learning to recite each sentence naturally.
What to Do: Choose about 10 questions that best suit your business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Product or product line promotion
Below are our best suggested interview questions followed by example answers.
- What pain or problem does your product address?
- Most mops today are not easy to use and are only good for about a dozen uses.
- How does your product address that issue?
- The Maverick Mop enables you to mop an entire floor without rinsing once. It’s washable head lasts over 100 uses, and it’s lightweight plastic handle makes it easier to work.
- How would you demonstrate the effectiveness of your product?
- When you compare a standard sponge mop next to the Maverick Mop, it takes twice as long to clean a room with the sponge mop. The Maverick Mop picks up stains more quickly and thoroughly. And you can see that after a dozen uses, the sponge mop is worn out, yet the Maverick Mop still works like new.
- What is it that makes your product more effective?
- The Maverick Mop’s 300 loops of cotton string create the capacity to hold up to a liter of water - more than seven times that of an average sponge mop.
- How would you summarize the benefits of your product?
- No one likes to clean. Why not choose a product that takes half the time at the same cost?
- Invite people to buy it!
- Order your Maverick Mop today!
- How did your product come about?
- What is your philosophy for creating a great product?
- How would you describe your customer service? (Knowledgeable, responsive, flexible, accommodating)
- What are customers saying about your product?
- How do I buy your product?
- What helpful advice do you have for your potential customers?
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
[Identify the Problem]
Are you tired of spending your free time mopping your floors?
[How Your Product Solves the Problem]
The Maverick Mop enables you to cut your mop time in half by enabling you to mop an entire floor without rinsing once. It’s washable head lasts over 100 uses, and it’s lightweight plastic handle makes it easier to work.
[Demonstrate How It Works]
When you compare a standard sponge mop next to the Maverick Mop, it takes twice as long to clean a room with the sponge mop. The Maverick Mop picks up stains more quickly and thoroughly. And you can see that after a dozen uses, the sponge mop is worn out, yet the Maverick Mop still works like new.
[Features that Make It Work]
The Maverick Mop’s 300 loops of cotton string create the capacity to hold up to a liter of water - more than seven times that of an average sponge mop.
[Summarize and Invite]
No one likes to clean. Why not choose a product that takes half the time at the same cost? Order your Maverick Mop today!
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.