Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions or script below. Modify as needed. We recommend using a script for most types of small business marketing videos after warming up the speaker with interview questions.
What to Do: Choose the questions that best suit your small business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Lawyers, Accountants, Insurance Agents, Web Developers, Consultants, Financial Planners, Writers
Small Business Video Survey Results: 49% of customers want owner narration in the video; 34% are indifferent; 17% do not want narration avergaged across all industries.
Small Business Video Length Limit Average: 89.9 seconds (1:30)
Professional services results coming soon.
- What is your name, occupation and specialty?
My name is Jane Doe and I am a graphic designer that primarily provides web development work to local businesses and non-profits.
- What kind of relevant education or experience do you have in your field?
I have a bachelors in design from Western Michigan and have been providing full time graphic design since July of 2000.
- What is a philosophy or key to success you live by related to your area of expertise?
The key to great design is to visualize the experience of your customer.
- What skills or certifications do you have, and what services do you offer?
I am skilled in adobe illustrator, Wordpress and photo shop, and offer graphic design, web development and photography services.
- What do you try to achieve for your customers?
I really try and create a design and suggest text that excites the customer.
- Are you active in your community?
I’m very active in my community and my son’s education, and am always thinking of ways to make the world a better place.
- What are some of the most interesting things you’ve learned while providing your service that helps you better assist your customers?
I’ve spent the last two years learning more about marketing and how it connects with the user experience in an effort to help my customers increase their customers.
- How does the service process work for new customers?
When a new client contacts us, we gather some information over the phone and set up a meeting where we present 3 ideas typically. Most websites are completed within 1 to 2 months.
- Share some expert advice.
Over the years I’ve seen what aspects of a website generate the most sales for businesses, and the top two things I can recommend for your website are real photos and video of the business. Stay away from stock photos.
- Give customers your name and invite customers to do business with you.
My name is Bill James, and I look forward to working with you!
- How do you receive most of your customers?
- What is one of your proudest achievements of your business?
- How did the business find its beginnings?
- What do you love about your job?
- How is your service different from others?
- Do you have any special software or tech that is not commonly used?
Copyright 2018. Permission to repost with crediting link to Biveo.com.
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
Small Business Video Survey Results: 49% of customers want owner narration in the video; 34% are indifferent; 17% do not want narration in the video. Small Business Video Length Limit Average:
89.9 seconds (1:30) [Who You Are/Your Expertise]
My name is [First Lastname] and I am a [graphic designer] that is currently doing a lot of [web development work for local businesses and non-profits]. I spent [X years] working for a [design house] before that and have about [4000 hours] of experience in [graphic designing]. [a key philosophy you live by:] The key to building a great project is to visualize the project from the customer perspective. For the past [x years] I have been learning:
[Talk About Benefits]
- What are the best ways of designing for ease of use for your visitor
- What are the best ways to deliver fast, reliable load times
- What is the most cost-effective way of achieving what the customer needs
Every business should have a website. A website is often your first impression on your potential customers so it’s important to invest the time to make it great. [Your Technique]
I develop Wordpress sites which are ideal for small businesses that need to change their content frequently. They are inexpensive because of the wide range of pre-made templates and framework. [Talk About the Service Process]
We start off development with a meeting where I ask the client as much as I can about the business and what they hope to present to the customer. I then present a few template suggestions and from there I can have a basic website built in about a couple weeks after several rounds of revisions. Larger sites take much longer. [Share Some Expert Advice]
The most important thing your website can include for your your visitors is pictures of your staff, equipment, vehicles and office or showroom. Even better than photos are video so your customer can get a feel for the culture of the business.
May name is [First Lastname] and I look forward to working with you on your next project!
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.
Copyright 2018. Permission to repost with crediting link to Biveo.com