3 Approaches to Creating a Business Video:
- Create It Yourself: To begin creating it yourself, visit Before You Begin to see what you'll need, then follow the 6 steps from there.
- Shoot Your Own Footage, Hire an Editor: To begin shooting it yourself, and hiring an editor, visit Before You Begin, follow steps 1 to 4, then before starting step 5, visit Find a Business Video Editor.
- Hire a Pro to Do It All: To begin comparing pros, visit Find a Business Video Producer.
- Collaborate with a Pro (Recommended): To begin planning, review 10 Ways You Can Help Your Videographer Produce a More Compelling Video for Your Business.
Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions below. Or if you prefer the certainty of a script (which we do), modify the script template below which might take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So First: Choose between the interview approach, and modified script approach described below. The interview approach is fast, requires no-preparation and delivers compelling natural footage. The scripted approach enables more control over the content, but requires more preparation including learning to recite each sentence naturally.
What to Do: Choose about 10 questions that best suit your business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Food Services, Wine Tasterooms, Breweries, Bakeries, Coffee Shops, Delis, Diners, Night Clubs
Below are our best suggested interview questions followed by example answers.
- What is your restaurant in a nutshell?
- Pierre’s of Downtown Syracuse has been serving French cuisine-style seafood for the dinner crowd since 1982.
- What do you specialize in?
- We specialize in serving fresh ocean sea food that is cooked in a brick oven. We feature a large selection of imported French wines that will have you feeling like you are in Paris.
- Are there any interesting features that make your restaurant unique?
- We feature family recipes that have been handed down for generations; Live entertainment on Friday evenings; And the ambiance of a warm fire during the winter.
- What are some of the best features of the food?
- We only serve fresh food. No preservatives. We focus on healthy items such as vegetarian plates, gluten free, and grass fed. Our dishes are original creations unique from any other restaurant.
- What are some of the best features of the restaurant and its atmosphere, and who will the atmosphere appeal to?
- The relaxed, jovial atmosphere will transport you to France. It is the ideal place for date night, or dinner parties.
- What are some of your most popular plates?
- Some of our most popular plates include the Salmon Galettes, the Grilled Tuna and Aioli, and Broiled Swordfish a la nicoise.
- What are some of the other services you offer?
- We offer Dine-in, take out, delivery, online ordering, catering and wine shoppe.
- Do you have an awards, accolades, or positive press that can be mentioned?
- We’ve been honored by the Chronicle for being the people’s choice for best sea food.
- What is the history behind the restaurant? What inspired the owner to open it?
- I was born in Paris. Our family owned a restaurant. We moved to the US in 1978 and four years later, we opened Pierre’s.
- Give customers your name, position, and invite customers to do business with you.
- My name is Pierre Chiffeau, owner of Pierre’s, and I invite you to have dinner with us!
- How is your service different from others?
- How easy is it to park, or is there a valet?
- What are some of the first things that will strike you when you arrive?
- Talk about your staff.
- How does the reservation process work for new customers?
- How do you receive most of your customers?
- What is one of your proudest achievements of your business?
- What do you try to achieve for your customers?
- What do you love about your job?
- What is the most interesting thing you’ve learned while providing your service that helps you better service your customers?
- What licenses, certifications, or inspections do you hold?
- How would you describe your customer service? (Knowledgeable, responsive, flexible, accommodating)
- What is your philosophy, approach or key to providing your service?
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
Lucy’s Deli serves fresh, healthy, home made food to the breakfast and lunch crowd of downtown Grand Haven. Lucy’s is healthier than fast food, and quicker and less expensive than dining at a restaurant.
Lucy’s was voted best delivery food in the Tribune’s People’s choice awards 2015.
Our fresh baked bread choices include, sourdough, light rye, multigrain, and a growing favorite, pretzel rolls. Our Customer favorites include our chicken salad which is made from pulled chicken, diced celery and and onion, as well as our mesquite smoked turkey sandwich.
We can cater your special event of office lunch. We offer salads made daily from our deli case including a favorite, cherry chicken salad. We also have a market of fresh produce, breads, beverages and wine shoppe.
Lucy’s opened in 2008. It’s always been a dream of mine to open a French deli, being of French descent and have been working in the hospitality industry for over 15 years, and there seemed to be a real fit for this here in downtown Grand Haven.
We’re open Monday through Saturday till 4pm, located two blocks from the piano factory. My name is [First Lastname], I am the owner of Lucy’s Deli, and I invite you to let us make lunch for you!
Top 6 Script Content Tips
- Focus on the honest facts. Instead of saying "We are the best", try to give specifics such as, "We were recognized for providing great customer service by...", or "We performed serviced over 400 customers in 2015", or "Our staff is trained and certified by...".
- Good customer service is the most important thing to most customers. Demonstrate your level of customer service in your video. (Responsive, Accommodating, Knowledgeable, Flexible)
- Focus on the facts that show how you are different from other services. What is your niche?
- Demonstrate Candor. Do not try to portray your company any differently than how it truly is, and don't hide what your company truly offers. Use negatives to your advantage. For example, older equipment has the advantage of showing lower overhead and lower cost to the customer. What you think may be a negative can actually be a positive. Just be honest.
- Understand your niche and target your market accordingly. A portion of customers shop for the lowest price, a portion shop for the highest quality service. Charge fairly for the level of service you offer. Do not try to charge large corporation rates if you are a small local business. Do not drop your price to bargain hunters. Accept that you cannot win every customer that contacts you.
- If you are set on presenting your business by telling a story, be careful not to be self-congratulatory. Instead, focus on how your story benefits the customer.