3 Approaches to Creating a Business Video:
- Create It Yourself: To begin creating it yourself, visit Before You Begin to see what you'll need, then follow the 6 steps from there.
- Shoot Your Own Footage, Hire an Editor: To begin shooting it yourself, and hiring an editor, visit Before You Begin, follow steps 1 to 4, then before starting step 5, visit Find a Business Video Editor.
- Hire a Pro to Do It All: To begin comparing pros, visit Find a Business Video Producer.
- Collaborate with a Pro (Recommended): To begin planning, review 10 Ways You Can Help Your Videographer Produce a More Compelling Video for Your Business.
Welcome to Step 1. Planning your narrative can take as little as 5 minutes if you simply copy the list of interview questions below. Or if you prefer the certainty of a script (which we do), modify the script template below which might take from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So First: Choose between the interview approach, and modified script approach described below. The interview approach is fast, requires no-preparation and delivers compelling natural footage. The scripted approach enables more control over the content, but requires more preparation including learning to recite each sentence naturally.
What to Do: Choose about 10 questions that best suit your business.
How it Works: The videographer asks the narrator the questions as if in an interview. The spoken questions, as well as "um"s and pauses are edited out later.
Below are our best suggested interview questions followed by example answers.
- What problem were you having before contacting [Client]?
- Prior to contacting Voicetel, the phone system we were using did not have the full functionality we were looking for, and the performance wasn’t optimal.
- Why was it important to [you or your business] to solve this problem?
- We wanted to make sure we had a very positive presentation to our clients when they contact us, and by switching to Voicetel, we feel we have what we need, and what our clients expect of us.
- How did you learn about [Client]?
- We found about about Voicetel just researching on the internet. We had just started exploring options. I spoke with another friend about voice over IP and the benefits it has, and that’s when i began conducting my own research on it.
- What persuaded you to end up choosing Voicetel?
- I ended up choosing Voicetel because of the functionality and the value.
- How important is [Client’s Service] to your business?
- The phone service is a lifeline to our business. Email is impersonal. By reaching out via phone call, we can have more of a connection with our client.
- State your name and company you’re with and city state.
- My name is John Smith with Techpro Manufacturing of Atlanta, Georgia.
For tighter control, and more thorough analysis of your business's strengths while still sounding conversational, use this modified script approach.
What to do: Use the following script as a starting point to develop a custom Insert your company's information and philosophy into the following script template. Keep what works, remove what doesn't. There is about 2 minutes of script below, most videos only need to be about 1:15.
How it works: The narrator recites the script one sentence at a time as if speaking to an interviewer, repeating each sentence until it sounds natural.
A scripted approach is not recommend for shooting customer testimonials.